The HiSCI Program at JABSOM welcomes grant proposals from all Hawai`i Grade K-5 teachers and all Science and Health teachers from Grades 6-12. Rather than supplying the funds for teachers to purchase specific instructional equipment/teaching supplies (hereafter, referred to as “resources”), we will purchase them for the applicant and have it shipped to their school. HiSCI will award a maximum of $2,500 in resources per applicant. To increase your chances of receiving the award, it is recommended that you keep your budget low by focusing on what you really need.
The deadline to submit a proposal is Friday, April 29th at 5pm HST.
Download more information about the proposals and process here.
Click here for a list of the types of resources that may be borrowed.
steps to Apply:
To start, email Kira Hughes (HiSCI Program Director) at email@example.com to register for the “SIP JABSOM HiSCI Forum”. In the subject line of the email, write “RFP”. In the email body, please provide:
- Your full name
- The school where you teach
- The email address that you most frequently use.
Within 3 business days you will receive an email from the STEM Pre-Academy welcoming you. This email will include your username and password for the SIP site.
Login to the SIP using your provided username and password. Once logged on, click on one of the following links:
Attach a STEM lesson plan or activity of your choice in the appropriate Elementary, Middle, or High School section that you feel would be of interest to the Hawai‘i teaching community.
For example, it could be an actual lesson that you currently teach or maybe something from another teacher or organization that aligns with the new Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). This is not meant to be a difficult task; our goal is just to use this platform to share helpful information among Hawai‘i’s teachers. Try not to repeat lessons that are already posted in this section.
Fill out the form below, and attach these two files:
File I. Budget (Excel Spreadsheet or Word Document preferred)
- Organize each unique item on a separate row under the following column titles:
- Name of item (include the supplier’s name and size of item if relevant)
- Cost per item
- Item quantity
- Weblink (provide a working link to the exact item requested)
- Provide a total for all items requested that includes the tax and shipping charges to send the item from the supplier directly to your school.
File II. Narrative (No more than two pages. Arial, 12 point font recommended)
- How will the requested resource(s) benefit your students?
- How does the requested resource(s) relate to the science or health disciplines?
- How did you originally hear about the resource(s) you are requesting?
- Discuss any partnerships or resource sharing that exists between you and other teachers within your school, at other schools, or with community organizations.
- Describe some of the most exciting science or health learning opportunities available in Hawai`i that you and/or your students have experienced.
Submit your application on the form below by 5 pm HST on April 29, 2016.
Proposal Submission Form
The submission period has ended. Thank you!