EDP Unit Plan – Designing a Water Filter
How can we use our knowledge of how different filter materials work, our creativity, and EDP to design and improve a water filter that cleans contaminated mystery water?
Students will be able to…
- use EDP to design a water filter to clean non-toxic contaminated water.
- ask about the problem, imagine different solutions, plan, create, test their water filter designs, and improve their designs based on test results.
Students will learn that:
- engineers use a series of steps, called the Engineering Design Process, to design solutions to problems.
- a good design will meet all of the criteria for solving a problem (in this case, speedy filtration, removal of particles and color, and low cost) to some degree.
- sometimes increasing the performance of a design on some criteria (e.g., making cleaner, clearer water)