Strawberry DNA Extraction Kit
(We have 3 of these available, but because of demand and scheduling, all may not be available at once.)
DNA is a very abstract concept that can be difficult to grasp. With this DNA kit, extract "chunks" of DNA from strawberries and papaya that your students can actually see. Students will learn about cell walls and cell membranes since to extract DNA, these walls and membranes must be broken down. Each kit contains 16 sets of materials for students to work in groups of 2 or more.
Students at Hana High and Elementary learned about DNA base pairs and what DNA is made of as they built models of the DNA molecule.
- 17 50-mL tubes with lids and bases
- 33 15-mL tubes with lids
- 16 resealable plastic bags
- 16 wooden sticks
- 16 funnels
- 1 pack of cheesecloth
- 16 transfer pipets
- 1 bottle of ethanol, 95% (100 mL)
- 1 bottle of liquid detergent
- 1 10 g salt (sodium chloride, NaCl)
- 1 Teacher's Manual
- 1 Material Safety Data Sheet